To those of you who were here last year, you know that on Wednesdays, I would post something that might be helpful for student organizations. As I’ve transitioned into the dean of students role on campus, I am sharing some other things that might be helpful to know about in terms of our community, The Compass, or showing one another respect.
We’re starting with talking about sexual assault. We know that sexual assault happens far too frequently, and the start of the academic year can be a time that is especially problematic around sexual assault. We also know that national statistics demonstrate that 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. Not only this, but 93% of victims of sexual assault know the assailant.
Important in our understanding is making sure we are all on the same page about consent. Our sexual misconduct policy outlines our definition of consent, but this video does a pretty great job as well:
If you, or someone you know, has been the victim of sexual assault while at Cornell, I encourage you to report it to the dean of students office by filling out an incident report, but also to utilize the resources available on campus:
Fully Confidential Resources
- Cornell College Counseling Center: Information about both on campus and off campus resources, as well as information about how to help a friend if who has been sexually victimized. Ebersole; 319-895-4292
- Student Health Services: Services provided by licensed nurses, includes referrals to area healthcare providers. Ebersole; 319-895-4292
- Cornell College Chaplain: The college Chaplain provides support to Cornell College students, faculty, and staff. Old Sem (3rdfloor); 319-895- 4402
- Third Wave Resource Group (TWRG): TWRG is a Cornell College student organization located in Harlan House. TWRG members have undergone sexual assault advocacy training, and the group provides information, support and resources, including a campus safe room. 319-895-5750.
- Riverview Center (sexual assault services and advocacy): 888-557-0310
- Waypoint (relationship violence services and advocacy): 800-208-0388
Confidential Campus Resources
- Sexual Misconduct Liaison: Cornell College’s Sexual Misconduct Liaison is a member of the college staff outside the Dean of Students’ office and conduct system whose role is to provide support and information to students who may have experienced sexual harassment or assault. This person can provide information about resources and reporting options without initiating any formal investigation or complaint. Sharon Grice; Peter Paul Luce Admissions Center; 319-895-4162