We’re only 5 days away from Move In and the start of NSO 2015 and we can’t wait! To make things go easier for you, check out these details and tips before the big day. The Thomas Commons twitter page (@ThomasCommons) has been busy with #whatshouldyoubring and last minute reminders. Stay tuned with moments and memories from NSO 2015, browse, and use #tothehilltop!
Move In and Validation Basics
- Fall athletes, and students participating with EOTO and International Student Move In have already joined us on campus, but for the rest of the new and incoming students, Move In and Validation begins at 8:30am on Wednesday, August 26. Last names A-M go through Validation first and N-Z have Move In first. Move In and Validation will run until noon!
- Things to remember for Validation: You’ll need some photo document to identify yourself: driver’s license, state ID card, or passport will work fine! If you plan to work on or off campus, you will also need your original Social Security card, birth certificate, or US passport to fill out forms. If you’re worried about keeping track of those, send them back home at the end of the day.
- Remember to mark your boxes and room gear with your room number: athletes and other student groups help unload cars and move in to rooms on Wednesday–having all your things marked ensures it’ll end up in your room right away! Be ready to know the drill when you pull up: typically, someone stays with the car and the student and helpers will take things up to their new room.
- For a whole schedule of events, check out the Move-in Day website, 2015 NSO Schedule for Students, 2015 Family Schedule, and Fall Opening Information. You’ll get a copy on Move-In Day, but here are the condensed basics:
- Lunch on Wednesday will run from 11:30 am- 1 pm. Head to the Hilltop Cafe and see why it’s ranked number 2 in the nation! Students receive 2 meal tickets for lunch while at Validation. Additional meal tickets are available for purchase at the door.
- From 1-3 is free time to set up your room and get settled in; just be sure to remember Music & Make-up Placement Exams from 1-3 if that’s part of your day.
- At 3, students head out to meet their PAs and parents can meet your student’s advisor from 3:15-3:45.
- New Student Convocation starts at 4 on the College Hall lawn.
- Family Farewells start after Convocation, with floor meetings starting at 5:30. Get a few last minute things unpacked, get in some more hugs, and say bye for now!
Connecting to WiFi
- One of the biggest questions people have on Move-In Day: how do I connect to WiFi? All students got an email to walk through set up, but here are the highlights:
- There is a new CornellOpenWiFi for any guests on campus to connect to, for mobile devices or computers.
For Students to Get Connected:
- Connect to the CornellOpenWifi wireless network.
- Open any web browser and you will be redirected to our guest network Acceptable Use Policy.
- Please read and agree to the policies.
- You should automatically be redirected to our WiFi Landing page.
- There you will find a link to enroll your device in our GetConnected system and instructions for connecting to our CornellSecure wireless network.
- Follow the instructions presented for your operating system.
- Once connected to our CornellSecure wireless network, SafeConnect will need to be installed on all laptops running Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X. SafeConnect tests each computer to ensure it is compliant with our system requirements. Note: SafeConnect is not required on Android, iOS, Linux, and media devices.
Forgot something and need it right away? Mount Vernon has an ACE Hardware for things like a garbage can, surge protector, lightbulbs, or extension cord, CarePro Pharmacy for toiletries and random things, or Gary’s for some fresh food. The closest Wal-Mart is in Marion or if you’re a die-hard Target fan, Cedar Rapids.
If you have any questions on Move-In Day, find someone in a purple NSO shirt and if they can’t help you, they’ll find someone who can. We’re so excited for you to join us on campus and welcome you #tothehilltop!