Organization: Global Zero
Location: Washington, D.C.
Timeframe: Open – typically Spring/Summer OR Blocks 1 and 2 (September -October)
Deadline: February or March for summer applications, June-July for Block 1-2 applications, early inquiries and applications welcome
Description: US Campaigns Intern
There are no insurmountable technical barriers to achieving a world without nuclear weapons. The only barriers are political: it is a matter of the leaders of the nuclear powers acting with urgency and resolve. But political will rarely springs to life on its own. Real action on disarmament will require public pressure several orders of magnitude greater than exists today.
Over the last several years, Global Zero has built an international community of leaders and experts to champion global nuclear disarmament. This support is deeply credible and necessary, but not sufficient: generating pressure requires robust grassroots infrastructure that can shine a spotlight on the issue and mobilize the public.
This cannot be secondary. Relentless, long-range, capacity-building movement work is time-consuming, difficult and expensive. It’s also the only way to change hearts and minds, build power that lasts and win in the long run. And global nuclear disarmament is a long-run proposition.
That’s where you come in.
The U.S. Campaigns Intern will be extremely creative, hardworking and above all an outstanding writer. This position will provide a unique opportunity to practice advocacy-driven grassroots field mobilization and take direct part in growing Global Zero’s movement.
Among other things, the U.S. Campaigns Intern will:
- Tracking statements on nuclear weapons made by candidates in the 2016 US presidential election
- Building and maintaining lists of field contacts
- Assisting U.S. Field Organizers in volunteer communication, planning and outreach
- Drafting and editing campaign-related communication including email blasts, blogs, etc.
The ideal candidate will be/ have:
- An ability to work from Global Zero’s DC office
- An outstanding writer across online mediums with the ability to create content that tells our story in an effective and creative way;
- Up to date on best practices and experience with the following: online campaigns/advocacy, list building, email writing, analytics, and more;
- Possess a strong work ethic and history of taking the initiative to develop or improve systems, processes and projects; and
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job, including occasional early meetings, late nights, lifting boxes of campaign chum up to 35 pounds, etc.