Week 13: Mayo Clinic

August 21st, 2013

Katlyn Arndt ’15, Brent Fellow in Neurology and Medicine

I can’t believe that my time at Mayo Clinic is already over! This summer has given me so many opportunities to learn about research and the medical field. The knowledge and skills I have gained from this fellowship will help me succeed in the future, both academically and professionally.

During my last week, I was able to help out with the data entry for our survey-based epilepsy project. We are using a program called REDCap, which stands for Research Electronic Data Capture. This web-based tool allows us to collect and track the data from our surveys. It took about 25 minutes to enter the data for each survey we have received back. After I entered at least 10 surveys into the database, we were able to complete a “mini” data analysis. Although this was a small population number, we were able to see the general trends of the data. It looks like we will have some great things to work with!

There are many people I would like to thank who made this experience possible. First and foremost, I would like to thank Dr. Erik St. Louis for being a wonderful mentor. His knowledge and guidance helped me through this summer. I learned so much about the field of neurology and sleep medicine from him. A big thank you to all the research assistants (Dave, Stu, Paul 1, and Paul 2) who guided me through our research and provided great company. In addition, I would like to thank Maia and Grace, the other student summer interns, who I could not imagine this summer without. Finally, I would like to thank the Cornell Fellows program and my advisor, Craig Teague, for supporting me academically and financially throughout this whole experience.

I plan to continue working on some of our research throughout the fall. I will continue scoring CAP for our sleep deprivation project and eventually help with the writing process of this paper. In addition, I will return to Rochester during one of the block breaks in the fall semester to help with the data analysis for our survey-based epilepsy project. Although I was not able to complete a project this summer, I am excited to continue working on them and to see their outcomes.

Dr. Erik St. Louis and I

Dr. Erik St. Louis and I

The other student summer interns and I

The other student summer interns and I

“Today the only thing that is permanent is change.” -Dr. Charlie Mayo

• About
  • Fellows
  • Archives
  • Meta