Week 7: National Association of Chain Drug Stores

August 5th, 2013

Hayden Howard ’14, Anderson Fellow in Public Affairs

Last week at NACDS! It is definitely a bittersweet moment. I have learned so much and met so many great people, that it will be difficult to leave this amazing place.

Last week was focused primarily on our Total Store Expo conference in Vegas. I finished up the agenda for our Faculty Scholars Program, as well as helped plan a dinner for Saturday night. On Wednesday, I attended a hearing on a bill called HR2810. This bill was seeking to increase Medicare reimbursements for doctors. However, once the discussions started, Congressmen Michael Burgess from Texas motioned to add nurse practitioners to the list of healthcare providers who would get fully reimbursed. This is a first for them. This clause was added unanimously by all 53 representatives. This was an instrumental victory for nurse practitioners. In order to decrease healthcare costs and keep people healthier, we must have more options for healthcare delivery, which definitely included nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and yes, pharmacists. All of these professions could really help the healthcare crisis. After the hearing, I stuffed envelopes for numerous Congressmen and Senators. Although I thought this was a menial task, I actually read the letter that NACDS was sending, and realized that it was actually pretty cool. It was really cool to see the bipartisan cooperation between NACDS and both Republicans and Democrats.

This weekend I took advantage of “Tax-Free Weekend” in Virginia. As a whole, Washington, D.C. is incredibly expensive and the tax rate is 10%! To me, that seems absurd, especially spending most of my time in Texas and Iowa. This weekend was definitely a great opportunity to see more of the rural side of Virginia and Maryland, as well. I have received my ticket to Vegas and will be leaving on Saturday! I can’t believe that I will be attending the conference. I am really looking forward to networking with some of the most important executives in the healthcare and retail industries. It should be a great experience!

I hope everyone has a great week, and I am looking forward to coming back to the Hilltop in a couple of weeks!

• About
  • Fellows
  • Archives
  • Meta