Week 9: Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa

July 23rd, 2013

David Yamaguchi ’15, Dimensions Fellow in Research

Things are continuing to come to a close for my experience here.  I’m still working on cloning constructs H36 and H37, and the HCN1 N terminus construct H35 is ready for injection, but the amount of experiment work I do is dwindling.  This week we injected construct H27, one of Yuan’s constructs that had low expression and is one of the most important constructs for her project.  The usual tadpole sorting and routine lab activities have taken place similar to work done in the previous weeks.

I’m looking forward to injecting constructs H35 and H33 in week 10 even though I won’t be able to see the results as soon as they are completed.  I’m hoping that I will be able to take a block off during the year and work in the Baker lab to help finish up some of the smaller details of my project and put together a complete honors thesis.  However, if the H36 and H37 constructs do not show inner segment targeting as we expect one of the two of them to contain, Yuan will need to look at many more truncations of HCN1 CT which may take another summer long period of exploration in which I may or may not be able to participate.

The lab is waiting for my presentation in week 10 which I have completed and will continue to polish until Friday of week 10.  I still have to work out what snacks I’m going to bring to show how much I appreciate them taking the time out of their busy schedules to give me feedback on my project and presentation so that I’m fully prepared for the poster sessions in week 11.

I’ve also communicated more with Professor Barbara Christie-Pope and will get to see the Cornell Lab and their work on a drug that causes Zebra fish to lose neural function and lose their melanocytes.  I’ll also get to talk to a little bit about this honors thesis I’ve been mentioning so much.  She sent me the thesis that Megan Dibbern wrote in 2012 which gave me an idea as to the scope of what a thesis requires.  To say the least, it’s intimidating, but I’m learning quite a bit here and think that with a little more work in the lab and the continued support of the ever-awesome members of the Baker lab and my mentors at Cornell who encourage my scientific and intellectual growth, I’ll be able to tell a compelling story about protein trafficking in frog photoreceptors.

• About
  • Fellows
  • Archives
  • Meta